2012年11月2日星期五

Nike Shox Torch 2 was not readily attracted by members of the opposite sex

  T. X. was not readily attracted by members of the opposite sex.
  He was self-confessed a predestined bachelor, finding life and itsincidence too absorbing to give his whole mind to the seriousproblem of marriage, or to contract responsibilities and interestswhich might divert his attention from what he believed was thegreater game. Yet he must be a man of stone to resist thefreshness, the beauty and the youth of this straight, slendergirl; the pink-and-whiteness of her, the aliveness and buoyancyand the thrilling sense of vitality she carried in her verypresence.
  "What is the weirdest name you have ever heard?" asked Karalaughingly. "I ask you, because Miss Holland and I have beendiscussing a begging letter addressed to us by a Maggie Goomer."The girl smiled slightly and in that smile was paradise, thoughtT,shox torch 2. X.
  "The weirdest name?" he repeated, "why I think the worst I haveheard for a long time is Belinda Mary.""That has a familiar ring," said Kara.
  T. X. was looking at the girl.
  She was staring at him with a certain languid insolence which madehim curl up inside. Then with a glance at her employer she sweptfrom the room.
  "I ought to have introduced you," said Kara. "That was mysecretary, Miss Holland. Rather a pretty girl, isn't she?""Very," said T. X.,recovering his breath.
  "I like pretty things around me," said Kara, and somehow thecomplacency of the remark annoyed the detective more than anythingthat Kara had ever said to him.
  The Greek went to the mantlepiece, and taking down a silvercigarette box, opened and offered it to his visitor. Kara waswearing a grey lounge suit; and although grey is a very tryingcolour for a foreigner to wear,fake uggs, this suit fitted his splendidfigure and gave him just that bulk which he needed.
  "You are a most suspicious man, Mr. Meredith," he smiled.
  "Suspicious! I?" asked the innocent T. X.
  Kara nodded.
  "I am sure you want to enquire into the character of all mypresent staff. I am perfectly satisfied that you will never be atrest until you learn the antecedents of my cook, my valet, mysecretary - "T,fake uggs boots. X. held up his hand with a laugh.
  "Spare me," he said. "It is one of my failings, I admit, but Ihave never gone much farther into your domestic affairs than topry into the antecedents of your very interesting chauffeur."A little cloud passed over Kara's face, but it was only momentary.
  "Oh, Brown," he said, airily, with just a perceptible pausebetween the two words.
  "It used to be Smith," said T,Replica Designer Handbags. X.,"but no matter. His name isreally Poropulos.""Oh, Poropulos," said Kara gravely, "I dismissed him a long timeago.""Pensioned hire, too, I understand," said T. X.
  The other looked at him awhile, then, "I am very good to my oldservants," he said slowly and, changing the subject; "to what goodfortune do I owe this visit?"T. X. selected a cigarette before he replied.
  "I thought you might be of some service to me," he said,apparently giving his whole attention to the cigarette.
  "Nothing would give me greater pleasure," said Kara, a littleeagerly. "I am afraid you have not been very keen on continuingwhat I hoped would have ripened into a valuable friendship, morevaluable to me perhaps," he smiled, "than to you.""I am a very shy man," said the shameless T. X., "difficult to afault, and rather apt to underrate my social attractions. I havecome to you now because you know everybody - by the way, how longhave you had your secretary!" he asked abruptly.

没有评论:

发表评论